Todd
Todd asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Who was the most influential person in the last thousand years?

In the year 2000, the biography channel did a special highlighting who their experts considered the most influential people in the last thousand years. I thought they did a good job on the top 5--though I disagreed with # 1 and wasn't too happy to see Princess Diana on the list, much less ahead of Jonas Salk. Who is your pick for the number one most influential person in the last thousand years?

Yes unfortuanate phrasing on my part: A person who lived within the last thousand years.

NC: You chose Biography's #1 in Johannes Gutenberg. I understand the arguments for him. I was holding out for Biography's # 2 person.

Here's a link to Life Magazine's list:

http://www.tostepharmd.net/hissoc/top100people.htm...

I don't see Biography's list on their site:

I've already named #1. #2: Newton, #3: Luther, #4: Darwin, #5 : Shakespeare

• NC
    Favorite Answer

Assuming you mean a person who has lived within the last 1,000 years (so Gautama, Jesus, and Mohammed are disqualified), that would be Johannes Gutenberg. Both Industrial Revolution and modern democracy depended on reliable vehicles of storing and disseminating information. Gutenberg’s movable type (much improved by others) provided such a vehicle. It can be argued that without movable type, development of both technology and democracy would have been severely impeded.

This said, one should wonder whether movable type would have been invented by someone else if Gutenberg didn’t invent it…

• Roxie

Less than 4000 in all teh campaigns of the GWOT, over a 6 year period is "countless?" There are one day casulaty counts from the Civil War, WWI, and WWII that were higher. You have a hyperbole problem. Simultaneously most influential AND least important: Almost anyone in Hollywood.

Martin Luther

Leonardo Da Vinci and Thomas Edison. Visionaries, inventors and bright sparks (well at least one was ha ha ha)

Alfred Nobel.

Bill Gates,and Steve Jobs to name a couple.

Most people would not be reading this without their contributions to the world of technology.

For those that don't know.

Bill Gates- Owner of Microsoft, Yahoo, IBM, Shop.com, and plenty more.

Steve Jobs- Owner of Apple, Macintosh, and probably more.

Leonardo da Vinci. Just an opinion.

Maybe the dali lama or mother teresa; as they both did a lot of good for the world in my opinion.

• .

The late Pope John Paul II.

Inventor of the computer.Tied with those whom made electricity available to all.