~*~Wanting To Be Gemologist~*~?

Hello,

I have been so interested in gemstones,crystals, and the study of them, and i was really interested in what was required to become a gemologitst. and what classes i could take in high school to prepare me in college and what college specializes in geology?

thanks so much for your help! :-)

• lb2k
    Favorite Answer

I teach at a gemological institute. All our students come from varied educational backgrounds. Some are fresh out of high school, but a good number are degree holders and professionals.

Is there any course of study that may give a student a distinct advantage over another? Of course. But because the field of gemology is so wide, and because it straddles BOTH art and science - I think, to succeed, all a student really needs to show is passion for gemstones.

So take whatever classes interest you in high school, because GeoChris is right - you don't need to specialise in Geology to study Gemology. It's very simple - all you need to do to become a gemologist, is to sit for a gemological diploma.

There are several respectable institutes that offer this.

For example: Graduate Gemologist (GG) from Gemological Institute of America (GIA), Accredited Gemologist (AG) from the Asian Institute of Gemological Studies, based in Bangkok.

With your GG or AG diploma, you may opt to sit for a higher diploma - the FGA - offered by the most respected gemological association in the world - Gemmological Association of Great Britain.

After you've gone through these courses, you will have earned the right to write "Gemologist" under your name!

For the record, my degree is in the Arts & Social Sciences, and I hold a postgraduate in Human Resource Management. As you can see - neither of which is at all related to gemology!

Hope that helps! Good luck on your path to becoming a gemologist!

Source(s): I LOVE gemstones and am a gemologist.

Hi, as a geologist I can tell you right away that if you want to become a gemologist you should not look to specialize as a geologist. Gemology is a fairly unusual study, I think a lot of people who entered this in the past did it through apprenticeship.

I found this on the net:

www.schoolofgemology.com

but I don't know how good they are. No doubt though that you will want to have a good handle on Physics and Chemisty.

Your best bet is to become a geologist. Don't go to a school of mines if you want to work in gemstones. To work with gemstones exclusively I would say geology may not be the best. If this is the case become a jeweler. I have worked at quite a few diamond mines at a geophysicist and have yet to see my second diamond. As for becoming a jeweler I have no Idea but for Geology math (Calculus and Algebra) and science (chem and physics). Geography and geology (if your high school offer it) couldn't hurt you either but only for your own reference and to see if you would like it. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I would say, go get some practical experience. Around here, there is an employer who takes in rings or whatever for other jewelers. They do all the real work, and have an involvement. The local jewelry stores send all their repair work to them. This is a good way to get some real world experience now.

Science and Math

• Justin

you need to take science and math...colorado school of mines or texas a & m