Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsOther - Yahoo Products · 1 decade ago

Are there such things as white sapphires ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • lb2k
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, there are.

To many people, Sapphires are blue. However, Sapphires (Corundum) come in a whole myriad of colors! You can find them in pink, orange, purple/violet, green, black, parti-colors etc. There are even color-change varieties! (Red corundum is called Ruby)

In its purest form, Sapphire (Aluminium Oxide) is colorless and is called "White" Sapphire. Colored varieties are the result of impurities. For e.g. Blues are colored by iron & tianium, Pinks by chromium, Yellows & Greens by iron and so on.

Although a gemstone in its own right, white Sapphires are often seen as an economical alternative to Diamonds. They have a hardness of 9 on the Moh's scale and are therefore very durable. The refractive index is 1.76-1.77, which is lower than Diamond (2.41) but higher than Quartz (1.54). (This means it has a lower brilliance potential than Diamond, but makes an attractive stone compared to Quartz.)

Source(s): Me - I love gemstones and I'm a gemologist.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • ~Miss~
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes, there are white sapphires. They are not as brillant as a diamond, but they are a nice alternative. Sapphires come in all different kinds of colors.

• 1 decade ago

I have never heard of White Sapphires, here is some info on all kinds of gems:

http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/saphire...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.