What is the mathematical formula to share bills fairly?

The situation is my wife is completing college and re-entering the workforce. Her starting pay will be like half of what I make. What's a fair way for us to split bills? Let's say I make $4,000 a month, she makes $2,000 and our bills total $3,000. Obviously, it would be fair for me to pay $2,000 and her to pay $1,000. What is the formula to express this?

Favorite Answer

Well your first mistake is you thought your money was yours. Don't you know the old addage, "Her money is her money and your money is her money."

Ok joking aside, since you are both married both your incomes mean squat. Pretty much when you got married your stuff became hers and hers yours. So when it comes to paying the bills, pool all your money together and pay them, what ever is left over is the cash you have left to buy necessities like gas, groceries and clothes. Since you are married you are both now liable for what the other does, so if she charges up $5000 on a credit card since you are married you have the same amount of responsibility to pay it off.

Your total wage divided by the total combined wage is the percentage of the bills you should pay. In the case above, it is two thirds.

4000/6000 = .66

She will pay 1/3 and you will pay 2/3.

But it shouldn't matter since you are married.

Aren't you a team? IMO I don't think married couples should split bills. But thats your deal.

This should work.

.5x+.5y=z

x is your monthly income

y is her monthly income

z is your bill total.