Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 1 decade ago

Gemstone Prices??

Is there a website or anything that can tell me how much certain gemstones are worth? I'd like something that would tell me how much they are worth per carat, and maby for the certain colors and qualities. I know the 4 C's would change alot of that, but I was hoping if there was a site that could tell me all I need to know, about how much certain gemstones are worth per carat, ect. Also, do the gemstone prices fluctuate like gold and silver prices? Thanks

• lb2k
    Favorite Answer

"The Guide" publishes wholesale gemstone prices in the US which you can subscribe to at US$195 a year. Their website is www.gemguide.com. It gives a very comprehensive price range for most commercially important gemstones, differentiating between gemstone quality, color varieties, sizes and in some cases, gemstone origin.

This is useful if you are able to grade gemstones somewhat competently, ie. if you can tell the difference between a commercial, good, fine and extra fine stone, you will be able to get a rough idea of the price range. Even so, the range can be very wide. For eg. Good quality Tsavorite under 1 ct ranges from 160-300 per carat. Extra-fine Blue Sapphire between 4-6cts ranges from 6000-8000 per carat.

In reality, stone pricing is subjective.

Unlike Diamonds, colored gemstones are not graded using a universal grading system. While everyone wants a Diamond that is white and bright, it is not so for the colored stone market. Take for example Ruby. The market ideal is pure red. However, Japanese love their pinkish red. So while a pinkish-red Ruby might be worth $200 in Japan, it may only sell for $150 in the US, where they are less desired.

Furthermore, unlike Diamonds, there isn't a single channel distribution system for colored gemstones so prices can really vary from place to place.

Do gemstone prices fluctuate like gold and silver? Due to its lack of liquidity, the answer is no. The prices rise and fall like any other commodity but you won't see anything as dramatic as gold!

Hope that answers your questions!

Source(s): I LOVE gemstones and am a gemologist.

Their are gemstone sites out there that can gove you "pricing" on gemstones, but TRUE pricing can vary month to month. Here are some things to remember about Gemstone Pricing:

1) 4 C's- Throw that out...that is for diamonds, not color stones. Main thing you look for is color saturation and clarity.

2) Locale of Stones: Some stones can be found in different areas of the globe. Depending the area, those stones can demand a higher price. Example: Burmese ( Myanmar ) Ruby is relatively much more than Thai Ruby

3) Size of Stones= Exponential Growth in price. Example: a 1.00ct stone might be 4-5 times the amount of a .50ct stone of the same type. Depends on the stone.

4) Poltical aspect- Many of the stones we enjoy are found in "not the most stable" areas of the globe politically. Depending on what occurs, prices can fluctuate.

Here are some Wholesale Pricing Examples:

1) Quartz- ( Amethyst, Citrine, Smoky Quartz, etc... ) $1.00-$5.00 ppc ( price per carat ) Depending on the color and size.

2) Tanzanite- ( 3A-4A ) Larger Stones currently $380-$425 ppc

3) Blue Topaz ( Swiss-London Blue )- $1.00-$5.00 ppc

4) Tourmaline ( Green )- $25ppc

5) Tourmaline ( Pink )- $50ppc

6) Sapphire ( Ceylon Natural )- $70-$450 ppc ( depending on how nice the stones

7) Sapphire ( Diffused )- $10-$25 ppc

These are just a few example. Now, the thing to remember, on websites, the current markups can exceed 60% margin.

Hope this helps

I once had to do a research project on gemstones. There is a pretty good site for it. I can't remember its name, but if you google 'Gemstone Price Guide' you should get it.

• gombos

Depends at the stone and the steel content material. Do become aware of, you're going to without doubt now not get what was once paid into it. Most areas that deal in used jewellery pay round 10 cents to the buck. ( 10p to the Pound )

The four C's really only pertain to diamonds..gemstones in themselves are usually not worth much unless they are very rare, i.e. pigeon's blood ruby or tanzanite. But here's a website anyway:

http://www.gemval.com/

...good luck to you.