Virender Sehwag named Batsman of the Decade..Your Thoughts ?

2009 was a splendid year for hurricane opener Virender Sehwag, the Delhi batsman found some solid form and raced to the top five in the Test rankings, apart from climbing 15 rungs in the ODI charts. As a result former England cricketer Derek Pringle has named Sehwag as the greatest batsman of the decade.

"Dashing openers have always been with us, and Chris Gayle may yet take violence against the new ball a step further, but nobody yet has managed to do it with the audacity and frequency of Sehwag," Pringle said. "To many, the choice will appear controversial. Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Jacques Kallis, Sachin Tendulkar, have all excelled over the past 10 years. They all announced their brilliance in the 90s, so were discounted," he added.

As of now Sehwag has accumulated 6,248 Test runs from 72 matches, including two triple hundreds and four double centuries. He missed out on a record third triple century in the Test series against Lanka when he got out on 293. Pringle said that Sehwag ranks much higher than the likes of Ricky Pointing and Kevin Pietersen. "Statisticians and the government policy-makers trust figures, wise men, facts, but I'm going to apply another measure: that of redefining the role they play, something Virender Sehwag has done for opening the batting in Test matches," Pringle wrote in his column.

"While Ricky Ponting and Kevin Pietersen, the other candidates for best player of the decade, have not really changed perceptions as the Delhi-born Sehwag has," Pringle wrote. "Sehwag's figures are impressive even before you consider the thrilling manner of their compilation. Two triple and four double hundreds in a 72-Test career is a weighty achievement for one who bats as if needing to catch the last plane out of Kabul," Pringle said.

Sehwag made his debut in 1999 against Pakistan in Mohali, and has become a household name since then. To be modest, he has changed the face of Indian cricket with his insane hitting in the opening overs. Initially deemed as a middle order batsman, Sehwag was sent in as the opener by the then captain Sourav Ganguly for a game against New Zealand. The rest is history.

"As most of his innings proceed at a run-a-ball, or better, there is a high-risk element to his shot-making. And yet there is also an appetite for runs at odds with the thrill-seeker in him that chases boundaries," the Englishman said. "When he first appeared, bowlers consoled themselves with the fact that while humiliation was always likely, it would probably be brief. They cannot bank on that now as age and experience have sharpened his judgment to the point that a hundred no longer sates him, or the crowd, as it once did," he wrote.

Did you enjoy seeing him batting, How much Important has he been in Indian Team ?

Your wishes for him in the Future ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I think he has been one of the most destructive batsman of all-time. He could change the direction of a game on its head in matter of minutes.

I always enjoyed his batting.

He's very important to the team success. The way he plays demoralizes the bowlers, and opposition captains can't set a field for him when he is in full flow.

I wish him all the best, and let his break more records. Hope he can break Lara's record of 400 in tests, and score a 200 in ODIs.

• dave d
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Sachin should have been named batsman of the decade. He has done more in cricket over the decade than sehwag. And i am an australian. What would washed up englishman called pringle know about cricket. so what if sachin excelled in the 90's. it is what one has done this decade that matters.

• 1 decade ago

He is a great batsman, and I hope he continues in the future, he is a joy to watch.

Maybe at a future time in his career he will become the "greatest batsman of his decade", but he is not that now, the 2000's have had a number of great batsmen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i love see sehwag bat. no matter in what form of cricket he plays, he is always exciting to watch. putting on a big score. he is good in his offence as well as in defence.

I think he is very important batsman 4 india and pairs up with G.Gambhir perfectly. They always give india a boosting start to any form of cricket match.

so good luck 2 him in future.

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Hashim Amla

• 1 decade ago

he is one of the best of this decade. but i dont agree about the statement. my batsman of decade is Ponting.

Source(s): kashikooler979.brain
  • i kno he is a good batsman but he is not the best..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.