What was Valentine's Day like when you were in grade school?

I grew up in the 1950's in California (United States). About two to three days before Valentine's Day, the teacher distributed color paper, paper dollies, glitter, etc. so we designed our own Valentine cards. The teachers were sufficiently wise to ensure that each child got at least one Valentine card and... show more I grew up in the 1950's in California (United States). About two to three days before Valentine's Day, the teacher distributed color paper, paper dollies, glitter, etc. so we designed our own Valentine cards. The teachers were sufficiently wise to ensure that each child got at least one Valentine card and that no child was left without a card. Still, I was very envious of some popular classmates who received more than a dozen Valentine cards (I wasn't popular, so I usually got one card on Valentine's Day).