Aquelle asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 7 years ago

Bleached hair? Help?!?

A couple of hours ago, I bleached my hair with Splat Lightening Bleach. I had a very dark brown-red hair before. The top of my hair came out very blonde and the rest down was reddish brown and copper, my roots didn't change. I forgot to say that I have long layered hair down to my hips. I thought one bottle was good enough for the length but I ran out and my hair wasn't fully saturated. I didn't have an extra bottle so I just went along with it. It doesn't look too horrible even though it looks like copper and it's obvious that not all my hair got bleached because of all the different shades of copper/red/dark brown especially the bright blonde just on top. I bleached my hair because it was a dark color and it would be hard dyeing it to the color I want with just those hair dye boxes from walmart.

I now want my hair to be this color: http://tinyurl.com/mbsumvo

OR a little more brown like this: http://tinyurl.com/kwpd7w7

Is it okay if I just use one of those Wal-Mart hair dyes similar to this color since my hair is already so much lighter than before? Will it turn out great despite my hair having diff. colors now?

I know how damaging dyeing and bleaching hair is but this is the first time in a year that I will color my hair. It was also the first time I've ever bleached my hair. I also already know the consequences. This is why I want to do my best to get it back to being healthy. So I wanted to ask what are some great shampoo/conditioner from walmart that won't damage my hair but help it become softer and healthier?

Other tips/advices and anything you'd like to say would be fine too. :)

Favorite Answer

You've got more chemicals on your hair than I HAVE in a year!

Overlapping dye onto previously colored hair is what creates dullness and dryness. If you color your hair @ home or salon, let your roots grow out as long as you can stand, so the line of demarcation is easier to spot. Only run color through the lengths for five minutes to refresh the ends. To extend the time between touch-ups, use a gloss and deep -conditioning treatments. They will help smooth cuticles roughed up by daily wear & tear, and the hair will look shinier. ~ Harry Josh, hairstylist of the celebrities.

Celebrity wears two-tone hair dye all the time, trying to grow out their dye. They call that the ombre style.

Style meets chemistry meets biology: We're talking hair coloring.

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

> > > Hair dye chemicals linked to cancer

London, Feb 20, 2013 I've been saying that since 2009.

Hair dyes, which include home hair colouring kits and those used at pricey salons, are linked to deadly cancer-causing chemicals, warn scientists. In 2009 the Mail revealed that women who used hair dyes more than nine times a year had a 60% greater risk of contracting blood cancer.

A year later the European Commission banned 36 hair dyes which put long-term users at risk of bladder cancer. < < < <

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time. Skin specialist Najjia Ashraf reveals that there are barely any dyes that don’t contain this toxin; even the ones who claim they don’t, are not being honest. “Big brands often escape the blame by suggesting they are ammonia-free. However, ammonia and PPD are two very different things and PPD is present in nearly every dye because it is what gives off the colour,” she explains.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND. The British woman who went into coma after a reaction to hair dye has died after a year. Updated 11-25-12. The woman suffered a heart failure, struggled for breath and became unconsciousness. Her family blamed paraphenylenediamine, a chemical found in hair colour. Her family has now called for paraphenylenediamine to be banned from home dye kits. In 2000, a 38-year-old Indian-origin woman from Birmingham, Narinder Devi, died after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Google search: Salon hair dye horror stories. About 305,000 results (0.20 seconds) OR Google Salon Hair Dye Lawsuits. About 336,000 results (0.17 seconds) Dec. 2011

When it comes to hair care treatments, product use or visits to a salon or spa, the consumer must take responsibility to do their homework and be aware of all the risks involved.

Google: January Jones: "My Hair Is Falling Out In Clumps" 1-28-13 To quote Joni Mitchell, "you don't know what you got till your thick hair is gone.

Source(s): Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe? I stand up for cancer. No allergies here, OR hair falls when I was dyeing my hair, but I had frequent migraines, the 1st one lasted 14 hours. My mom & sister also have breasts cancer, and I'm trying to be chemical-free as much as I can and watch what I put in my body. Mom started perming our hair in the 60's. Mom had bloody noses for 75 years, and doctors didn't know why, but she was diagnosed by age 89. Sister had double mastectomy by age 35, but she's been cancer free since the early 90's
  • Albert

if you have blonde hair that will naturally get bleached by the actual sun in the summer. There had been this guy in my class who else had golden blonde hair that has been a medium brown near the base. When he came back to university after summer vacation, it was practically platinum blonde!

I don't want to give you any bad or wrong advice so I am just go to say that (even though I am a hairdresser in practice) you need to go to a Professional shop on the High Street that can actually look at it and view your ahir type and you can go from there. But I helped I helped anyway. xx

its not regarding personality, it just what people want to do. anyway be careful cuz sometimes dying hair black doesnt alwayz come out right, i've seen that before