Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Chess
Lv 4
Chess asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Does this have a name or am I just odd?

I make scenarios in my head past the basic daydream. Instead of just thinking about what I want in the future and letting it go, I create entire lifetimes in my head and keep the story going over a course of days.

For example; After I graduate from high school, I want to take a gap year. So for the past two/three days I've thought up an entire computer science internship program I'd like to take. And I've created this guy [gave him a background story, specific features, even flaws, etc.] that I would meet there and I'd like him more and more. I've also made up new friends I'd like to meet and gave them background stories, specific features, and flaws, as well. Then I keep going so far as to finish off the rest of my life [kids, where I live, who I'll marry, etc.]. I do this quite often only with different situations [travelling the world, not getting a scholarship and staying (god forbid) in my hometown, starting a serious relationship in HS] and they go very far.

I'm not a writer because I rarely finish what I should and I only do it if I have to [article for journalism, English class, scholarship essay, and so on]. Is there a name for this or is it just extreme daydreaming? I've never really heard of others who do this.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think you are odd, and you would probably be surprised to learn that there are others out there like you. I was introduced to the term 'maladaptive daydreaming' here on Y!A, and it might perhaps explain what you experience:

http://daydreamingdisorder.webs.com/

Maybe that explains some of what you feel. I do the same thing in my own way, only not with myself as the main character. I have certain characters that have become like friends to me whom I weave dramatic scenarios for daily, almost like a second life or an ongoing movie in my head, which interferes a lot with living my real life. For you, the details differ but it sounds strikingly similar. I had at one point thought no one else really did this, but I learned that it's far from the truth.

I think it might stem from not being content with your own reality, anxiety or fear for the future, etc. Or maybe, you just have an overactive imagination. I honestly don't see it as entirely harmful though it can take over your life. If you are very concerned about it, try consulting a professional (psychologist, etc.). It always helps to look into it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm a day dreamer too. The thing is, I wasn't a writer either, but now, I'm writing a book. So, years of day dreaming has prompted me in this way...however, some chronic daydreaming can be disruptive to every day life. I personally don't consider my day dreaming a problem and it doesn't disrupt my daily life, however, it can be a problem for some. It can fall under the category of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Hope this helps. I've tried to find a name on it and you can find it under Excessive Daydreaming or Obsessive Daydreaming...there are a few case studies of it online.

• alisha
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I find it irresistible, truthfully. I'm peers with twins and their names are Dallas and Houston. Dallas is a lady and Houston is a boy. City names are exact when you choose the proper ones, since who'd wish to head round with the identify Detroit?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

that's called creativity and trying to figure out what you what in life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.