Christians: What are The Meanings Of The Words Translated "created" In Genesis 1:1 And "make" in Genesis 1:16?

Genesis 1:1: "In the beginning God CREATED the heavens and the earth."

If the "heavens" means the physical universe -- all the stars, planets, etc (apart from the earth according to the context of Genesis 1:1), then the stars were in fact created "in the beginning" BEFORE the events described later in verse 16:

"And God proceeded to MAKE the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, AND ALSO THE STARS."

So, did God create the stars twice -- in Genesis 1:1 and in Genesis 1:16?

Or does "make" in Genesis 1:16 carry a different meaning to "create" in Genesis 1:1?

Update:

Here is scriptural confirmation that the 'heavens' is not just empty space but includes the stars:

(Psalm 8:3) . . .When I see your heavens, the works of your fingers, The moon and the stars that you have prepared,

The Psalmist obviously could not see empty space. He was obviously referring to the celestial bodies filling the void -- moon, stars etc -- even as the verse says.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ׃ -- Genesis 1:1, Hebrew text

וַיַּעַשׂ אֱלֹהִים אֶת־שְׁנֵי הַמְּאֹרֹת הַגְּדֹלִים אֶת־הַמָּאֹור הַגָּדֹל לְמֶמְשֶׁלֶת הַיֹּום וְאֶת־הַמָּאֹור הַקָּטֹן לְמֶמְשֶׁלֶת הַלַּיְלָה וְאֵת הַכֹּוכָבִֽים׃ -- Genesis 1:16, Hebrew text

The word "created" is בָּרָא (bara')

The word "make" is יַּעַשׂ , from עַשׂה ('asah)

Yes, the words can have different connotations in Hebrew. "Asah, or "make," has a wider range of meanings than bara,' or create.

For example, 'asah can also mean to give an effect to something, to acquire, to prepare, to prepare and complete, to carry out or perform. (Koehler & Baumgartner's Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, volume one, pages 890, 891)

Therefore, Genesis 1:1 and 1:16 would not refer to two separate creations of the stars.

Rather, verse 16 would refer to the preparation or "acquiring" of the light of those already-created luminaries specifically in relation to planet Earth. That would mean God now caused the sources of light, the sun, moon, and stars, to become discernible in the expanse of heaven surrounding Earth, so as to “make a division between the day and the night” and to “serve as signs and for seasons and for days and years.” -- Genesis 1:17

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • Anon
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I believe that create is a synonym of organized. Just like an artist who creates a statue creates it out of stone, or a musician creates music by moving particles in the air at various frequencies, God created the world out of matter that already existed. E=mc^2. Matter-energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be organized. Although God created the earth and had created the universe as it appeared when the earth was first created, he is still creating the universe to this very day. Also, I personally believe that when the Bible talks about it taking a day to create something it is talking about a day in God's time, which is not the same as in man's time, but I can definitely see why others would disagree with me.

• 9 years ago

bara is translated create/make/made. Shamayim heaven/ heavens but heaven in this case SPACE. He crated the space in which to hang all the things you are claiming he created twice. Make and create are translated from the same word and used interchangably thoughout genesis.

So no stars were not created twice and Created and made are used interchangeably thoughout Genesis

They are translated fron the same word BARA.

Source(s): You can go to ANY site on Greek translation and they will give you a list of the most common translations for words, And especially biblical translations.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Doeth thee ye thou thus shall lo doth? Hath thine thy?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

create is "bara"

I forget the other...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.