Mileage on a car. How much is too much?

I'm currently looking for a new car and I need to know how much mileage is too much? I dont want to gt into a car that breaks down the next week. What do you think?

i need to know how many miles on the car is ok

Favorite Answer

If you purchase a Toyota Motor Corp. vehicle (Lexus, Toyota, or Scion), I would stay under 350,000 miles.

If you purchase a Honda Motor Co. vehicle (Acura or Honda), I would stay under 250,000 miles.

If you purchase a General Motors vehicle (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, or Saturn), I would stay under 60,000 miles.

One word of caution - whatever vehicle you consider, make sure that it has been properly maintained.

• Evgeni

Make sure to get any used car inspected by a good mechanic before you buy it.

How a car was cared for is more important than mileage.

Mileage tells you nothing more than how far a car has traveled. A well maintained car could go for hundreds of thousands of miles. If car is poorly maintained and driven like no tomorrow, it could be scrap before its next servicing.

Well a new car will have zero miles, but I suspect you meant a newer used car. Anyway, 12-15K miles per year for used cars. So a 2 y/o car should have 24-30K miles on the odometer. Anymore than that & someone has simply driven the crap out of it making you wonder was it serviced when it supposed to.

Depends on your budget.

If you are walking and don't have much money, you cant be picky.

And mileage isn't what makes cars break down next week. Its buyers who don't check out what they are buying & even if they do, it can be "random".

A car under warranty can still break down on you.

It depends on the year. 10-15k per year is normal. So for example a 2002 with 75,000 is normal but a 2009 with 140,000 is too much.

I would say not to buy anything with over 90,000 miles in general.

• L D

high mileage in deisels is usually ok

if the car is petrol and 3 years old with high mileage it is probably ok as miles clocked up on the motorway is much better than those gained from town driving

depends on the car you go for.

get the car checked b4 you buy it

60 then it might not b a hybrid the bad thing about hybrids are 1.hybrids get totaled EASY 2. u get keyed alot….. hope i helped