mark
Lv 7
mark asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

If yeast eats sugars and makes alcohol, does bread dough contain alcohol?

i realize the oven heat will dissipate most/all of it, but does bread contain alcohol before its baked?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dave C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, but very very small amounts.

Edit... I stand corrected.... There appears to be NO alcohol produced since bread doughs lack oxygen... Oxygen is needed for "complete" metabolism of the sugar by yeast.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen06/gen062...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Yeast desires 4 issues as a fashion to truly do its activity. First, it desires moisture, that's why while your making bread dough, the recipe will often call so which you will dissolve the yeast in heat water. 2nd, it desires sugar aka gluten. The gluten molecules in fact "feed" the yeast and get it shifting around. next element it desires is time, that's why recipies will very almost consistently say, "permit dough upward push..." They mean it while they say go away it on my own. in case you may bounce into the dough as you permit it upward push, you will see that the yeast is ingesting up all of the gluten and is freeing little wallet of air, that's how the dough "rises". the final element you may desire to make yeast artwork is a heat section. no longer something kills yeast like chilly, that's why you on no account use chilly water to dissolve yeast, nor do you go away the dough to upward push in a cold place. Yeast a fungus and prefer a number of funguses, it desires warmth and moisture to enhance. do away with the warmth and all you have have been given is a lifeless yeast and bread dough that wont upward push.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but very very small amounts.

Edit... I stand corrected.... There appears to be NO alcohol produced since bread doughs lack oxygen... Oxygen is needed for "complete" metabolism of the sugar by yeast.

• 1 decade ago

no theres not enough oxygen in bread for it to have achooal

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

How did you get two of the exact same answers?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

so consider its not halal

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.