Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do you cope with huge emotional stress?

I seriously feel like I'm going to lose it. I've been living a stressful existence for more than two years now. It's one disappointment after another, one trauma after another, one betrayal after another. Help. I don't know how much more I can take.

Favorite Answer

Hi Angelia,

There are different aspects to coping with stress. You can act to relieve it. And you've already got some good answers to that. But over the longer term you want to work to reduce or eliminate it.

Stress happens when the events of life show you that what you thought was true, really isn't.

Sometimes this might be that you thought someone was more honest that they actually turned out to be or something was going to happen and it didn't.

To overcome the stress you have to update your view of the world so that the world can be as it is without causing you the pain that it currently is.

Usually people fight against this and justify why things should be better or fairer. But the fact is, you can either be right or happy. You get to choose.

There's a series on how you can deal with stress here;

http://livewithoutconflict.com/blog/2008/06/24/wha...

You need to breathe. Relax, try mediating by taking some deep cleansing breathes (yoga perhaps) Try penning all your emotional turmoil in a journal or talk to someone, by letting out the emotional stress you'll be relieved.

I know how you feel, Im the same way, but I made the choice to stay sad because its easier than trying to build yourself back up after every single disapointment or all the **** that happens in our lives....I just couldnt take it. But when I made that choice, I didnt realize the dangers and I became severly depressed. Im still somewhat depressed but Im getting better. Trust me, and dont do what I did. Instead find healthier ways to vent by writing, talking to friends, going for a walk, listening to music, ect. Just do what you love and try to block all that crap from ruining whats stopping you from enjoying life. And good luck!

Our lives sound somewhat similar. Interesting. I take it one day at a time. There are days I don't feel like getting out of bed and sometimes I don't know why I do. I think I get my energy from God or my Mother (who is deceased). I don't know why I keep going and yes, there are the days where I don't know what stops me, but I'm still here. If you need to talk, e-mail me. I'll be around.

I would suggest going to the doctor and getting a prescription for something that can take the edge off until you are better able to deal with everything going on.

Then get yourself into some therapy quick. It sounds like you are at your wits end.

• ?

i started cutting. dont do that, its a bad way to deal with stress. :(

A selection of treatments follows, because circumstances, and individual preferences vary. See stress treatments, at ezy build, below in section 42. A certain level of stress is unavoidable, in modern society, so it is a good idea to develop effective coping methods. For others, or yourself: A massage (at least neck and shoulders) with jasmine, lavender, juniper, and/or bergamot, or German chamomile essential oils added to the massage oil, and to a warm bath, preferably beforehand, to help make any tension knots and muscles more pliant (they may only want, say, a juniper and/or bergamot and/or sandalwood mix: check first). I am aware of advice that strong heat, applied to essential oils can damage them, and so I would not use a diffuser. See if they will do long, stretching yoga exercises, or t'ai chi with you (see section 2, at ezy build, below).

Practise daily, one of the relaxation techniques on pages 2, 11, 2c, or 2i; whichever works best for you, but the mindfulness breathing for 15 - 20 mns is ideal, although the progressive muscle relaxation can be learned quickly, and takes only several minutes, if pressed for time. Employ the EFT version for use in public, for which you can reasonably claim that you have a headache, as you massage/tap your temples, but it may be advisable to restrict yourself to subvocalising (saying it to yourself, in your mind, not aloud). Section 53, and pages 2, 2.q and 2.o refer. "Even though I sometimes suffer from stress, I deeply and completely accept myself".

(The following is a variant of EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy, which has been used successfully for those people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, insomnia, and anxiety: it is easily learned, quick to use, yet can be very effective. It is easy to be dismissive of such a seemingly unusual technique, but give it a good tryout, for at least a few weeks, to see if it is effective in your case.).

Prior to using either of the methods in the above paragraph, first sit comfortably, and take a deep breath. Then, without moving your head, move your eyes from the left, to the right, and back again, taking around a second to do so (say: "a thousand and one": this takes approximately a second). Repeat this procedure (without the words, although you can count, subvocally, if you like) 20 times. Then close your eyes and relax. Become aware of any tension or discomfort you feel.

Then open your eyes, and take another deep breath, and repeat step one, closing your eyes, and relaxing afterwards, in the same manner. Then, repeat the procedure one last time. Some people may find that this is all they need do. With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention.

I have found that the 2 - 3 minutes spent using the EMDR markedly reduces distractions to the relaxation process, and is repaid many times over. With experience, you may find that you can practise this in public, with your eyes closed, which greatly widens the window of opportunity for its use, and avoids attracting unwanted attention.

You can also multitask, using the gazing technique, as you walk/jog or exercise, by focusing on a distant object, or just focus awareness on how each step feels, noting any thoughts which flash across your mind, without pursuing any particular train of thought, just gently redirect your focus to the task at hand.

For some people, it helps to visualise of a quiet, relaxing scene, (Imagine, as vividly as you can, that you are on a tropical beach, reclining comfortably; you luxuriate, as the the sun warms you, and a gentle breeze caresses your skin lightly, inhaling the tangy, sea scented, salt laden spray from the sparkling, translucent, aqua waves, crashing on the white, coral beach sand, and feeling the hot sand slip through your fingers in one hand, sipping your favorite drink with the other; all the while, the seagulls call, swoop and cavort playfully overhead in a cloudless, azure sky: you feel just like one of them, free to soar and cartwheel, or just glide in the moist, heavy air, and that this moment will last forever ... ).

Some people may find it helps when they listen to: http://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Of-The-Ocean/dp/B000X... Other suggestions: http://www.secretsofmeditation.com/demo.htm

and the audio, as well as the printed version, at: http://www.lessons4living.com/relaxation.htm and http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Rain-Sound-Sleep-Rel... or the mountain river sounds. Take 4 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, daily, replacing 2 of them with cod liver oil supplements, or a teaspoonful of the oil (I spread mine on toast, and mask its strong taste with fishpaste, and pepper), in the winter months only. Those people who receive adequate exposure to sunlight, daily, won't need the vitamin D from cod liver oil, but many people, particularly those in latitudes far from the equator, find this difficult, to achieve. Eat healthily, in accordance with your "nutritional type" as determined at http://www.mercola.com/ SEARCHBAR.

Ginseng (Panax Ginseng (Chinese/Korean/Japanese), panax quinquefolius (American) Eleutherococcus senticosus (Siberian)). It is also known as man root, life root and heal all. Lady's Slipper (Cypripedium pubescens) Lady's slipper is one of the most widely applicable nerviness available. It can be used in all stress reactions, emotional tension and anxiety states. Try having a cup of "Tension Tamer", herbal tea, by Celestial Seasonings, (from supermarket tea, or health food aisles) or make some at home, and cool, then bottle, and drink as needed (I find it so strong tasting, that I need to drink it quickly, followed by something like fruit juice, to take away the taste, but others may find it more tolerable). C(h)amomile tea is a more palatable option. As with all herbal/green teas, use lemon/lime, and/or a little sweetener (NOT ARTIFICIAL!!!) but no cream, or milk.

Xylitol, or Stevia is preferable, (health food stores) or fruit sugar (fructose, such as "Fruisana", from supermarket sugar aisles) or even a little honey, because these will reduce "sugar spikes", which later deplete you of energy. Minimise/eliminate consumption of highly processed foods, particularly grain products, such as white bread, donuts, cake, cookies/biscuits, or anything with sugar. Opt for more wholefoods, non-starchy vegetables, and fruit.

Light to moderate daily exercise helps fight stress. http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris