Should I really give up my German Shepherd?

Long story short. I found him very injured about to be put down. I took the responsibility of taking him to vet to get surgery for him to have a second chance. I was planning to take him to a GSD rescue but the one I found in my state never responded to my e-mails. I've now had him for almost seven months... show more Long story short. I found him very injured about to be put down. I took the responsibility of taking him to vet to get surgery for him to have a second chance. I was planning to take him to a GSD rescue but the one I found in my state never responded to my e-mails. I've now had him for almost seven months and its hard to give him up. But I am staying with my parents who don't really like big dogs. For example, there is a winter storm right now and my mom doesn't want him in the house b/c he's "big." Also my dad pulls him by the tail which I don't think its cool. I just think its the way my parents were raised to treat animals in Mexico. They think animals in the house is the most ridiculous thing.

I'm going to graduate from college in a year and plan to move out. Do you think I should take him to a shelter rescue or wait? I'm just afraid that he'll end up worst and I'm getting attached to him so are my siblings. Since it has been really cold outside, I did finally managed to convince my parents to let him sleep in my room at night.

I really don't want to give him up but sometimes I think of what would be best for him?