I'm taking a trip to Jamaica. Should I be worried about my safety?

We're going to visit family. My dad just called and said this may be the last trip, because there have been 400 murders there since the year started. Things are getting worse, especially in the cities, like Kingston and Spanish Town.

Should I be worried? My cousins live in Kingston, though not in like Tivali Gardens, or something.

Favorite Answer

As long as you are living on earth you must be careful. Just use common sense .

Enjoy your trip.

The port in Ocho Rios is VERY close to downtown area & all the shopping, so no need to take a taxi unless you have time for an excursion...and definitely don't buy from the ship....get the tickets direct from the places like Dunn's River or Dolpin Cove, etc.. Safety is a non issue...its VERY safe, and you will FEEL it too, though the beggers will get on your nerves. The taxi's are not expensive but they will try to take advantage of a rich stupid tourist...I assume you're neither. The licenced taxi has a red plate.

There is no need to be scared of Jamaica, it is just like anywhere else. These people are always making it more than it is. This whole thing is just being blown out of proportion. Yeah there has been an increase in the crime rate in jamaica since lately but that is everywhere, even here in America. Jamaica is not worst than anywhere else that is the picture that everyone tries to paint but it is not true. You just have to careful when you get there and just dont go out with people you dont know, dont flaunt like you are a foriegners, foriengner gets targeted wherever they go not just Jamaica. You will be with family so there is nothing to worry about, just dont do anything out of the ordinary and you will fine. There is crimes happening everywhere in the world not just Jamaica. Trust me you will have fun. If you are of the legal age make sure you go to New Kingston and check out the clubs Quad and Assylum, they are so much fun. There is so much in Jamaica to do. Make sure to take a trip to Port Royal and go eat some steamed fish and Dunn Rivers falls to climb the rocks. Have fun on your trip. Enjoy my country.

Source(s): I 100% Yardie (Jamaican)

Seriously, I don't know why your dad is frightening you like that.

If he's living out here, did someone threaten his life?

Otherwise, Jamaica is no more dangerous than where you are living. Not even the 'promised land' on earth is free from murder.

Just exercise common sense. I'm sure your cousins wont carry you anywhere dangerous.

Contrary to popular belief I've always heard that Tivoli is one of the safer areas in that part of Kingston (I haven't been there personally, but my brother always goes there). I wouldn't recommend you going there without someone who knows the area though.

Anyhoo, just lighten up and enjoy your stay while you are here. As long you come here not looking for trouble you should be fine. Your Dad and your cousins are still alive and well, after all.

Source(s): Well, I not dead yet.

Jamaica is a beautiful country and you should be safe as long as your smart about where you go and what you do. I'd avoid Kingston, especially at night, and if you go stay close to your family. Also, just make sure you seem confident and know what you're doing so they don't think your a tourist who they could take advantage of. One of my most favorite memories of Jamaica was hiking the Dunns River Falls, outside of Ocho Rios, its a lot of fun! Have a wonderful trip!

Jamaica is a beautiful country ! There is violence everywhere especially in America. There are crazy people in this world everywhere no matter where you go. Your not suppose to worry about that stuff just have fun and be safe. Since your going to your cousin you should be fine. Your cousin will tell you Jamaica is awesome ! There's crime everywhere cause everyone in the world can't be good. Just remember that ! A fun place to go in Jamaica is Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios. It's really pretty and nice ! And you get to climb the beautiful water fall !

P.S. And all these other people answering are incorrect. Jamaica has as much violence as anywhere else. You just need to don't cause no problems and be yourself and have fun !

☆ Mixed Curly Fries ☆

(\__/)

(='.'=) ♥

(")_(")

• Bob D

LOL !! Jamaicans get sooooooooo pissed when you talk bad about them...hee hee hee !!

Crime is OUT OF CONTROL in Jamaica. These ansers about " Crime is bad everywhere, even in the states"...yeah, duh !! Thats NOT what the girl said. She said 400 ppl were murdered so far this year ( not too bad considering we're in the 5 th month, a few years ago it averaged 100 per month ).

Can you imagine ??? JA has only BARELY 3 million ppl. In a city like Atlanta, theres 3.5 million ppl...if there were 100 muders a month in Atlanta, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT would come in & take over...cause obviously the police are NOT doing the job. So don't give this CRAP that JA is like anywhere else. The cops there are crooked & don't do their jobs, they take bribes all the time, they're only paid US$500 per month so DUH !! Of course they don't care ! Badmen kill cops JUST TO TAKE THEIR GUN ! The place has serious problems, but they like it that way or else they would change it. The tail wags the dog in JA....

Anywho, you'll be ok in Kingston girl, just stay clear of Spanish Town.....don't take route taxis ( you might get raped )...and keep a knife in your person like EVERYONE else does ;-)

As a real Jamaican who ACTUALLY LIVES IN THE COUNTRY, I am not going to be biased and say oh yes its all sunshine and rainbows but I mean come on Jamaica isnt as bad as these OTHER IDIOTS make it seem. Gloria L, don't you EVER compare Haiti to Jamaica because your economy is quite dismal, the crime rate is a lot worst and the condition of the country is in a despicable manner. Anyway, in every country there are good parts and bad parts in Jamaica it might be Tivoli Gardens in the U.S.A it might be Bed-Stuy. People won't just jump on you and attack you in Jamaica so dont listen to these imbeciles who have probably never set foot on Jamaican soil but just run their mouths. Mek mi tell you one ting: JAMAICA SELL OFFF!!!!

It is your decision. I live in Kingston jamaica and i am not scared. If u or u family is mixed up in bad things that have gone sour then u should be scared. Otherwise, there are not a lot of random killings.

As long as you take the basic safety cautions, don't get drunk, and lock up and don't stay into the early morning. Although i have never been there i know it is a popular tourist destination so i don't think so many people would go there if it was really bad.

Have A Fun Trip!!!!