Isn't social security just a really big ponzi scheme?

The government is using current social security to pay for social security it owes to the retired. This is the very definition of a ponzi scheme. If you gave me money, and I use this to attract more customers by showing how much money I am collecting, this is known as a Ponzi scheme. This is what social security... show more The government is using current social security to pay for social security it owes to the retired. This is the very definition of a ponzi scheme.

If you gave me money, and I use this to attract more customers by showing how much money I am collecting, this is known as a Ponzi scheme. This is what social security is doing.

If everyone wanted to take out their soc. earnings, they wouldn't have enough to pay out.

The banks also do this as well and is known as fractional reserve spending. The entire monetary system is corrupt. This is why the economy is so bad.
Update: droid, if the gov't wasn't siphoning, they'd have the money just sitting around in big piles. You think washington really has the patience to do that? Heck no.
Update 2: libertyman: there is one politician who has the "rocks" to admit it: Ron Paul.
Update 3: Save-Amer-NukeWash: couldn't agree more.