Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

is it good to be a vegetarian at age thirteen (13) ?

I'm a girl, age thirteen (13), & I want to be a vegetarian. My mom says it's not really good because I'm still young, but if I want to I can be a vegetarian but I have to make my own meals. So my question; is it good to be a vegetarian if I'm 13?

Best Answer

I think it's excellent to go vegetarian, or even better, vegan, at 13! I wish I had been so aware at such a young age! ; ) It sounds like your mother might not understand what vegetarian/vegan eating is really about. Perhaps find some books or other sources for her to look at? I don't live in the US so I'm not sure what you have there, but one American book I've hear is good is called "The Kind Diet" by actress Alicia Silverstone. Other than that there is plenty of information available online at sites like this: http://www.vegansociety.com/

Not only is a vegetarian diet nothing for your mother to worry about, it's actually much, much healthier than the traditional meat eating diet! Good luck!

.

Source(s): Vegan

I've been vegetarian since I was about 6 and haven't had any problems caused by it. I'm 36 now. I recommend getting some vegetarian and vegan cookbooks with nutrition sections from your local library and seeing if you think you'd be able to make balanced meals with food you could find at home.

Maybe if you are able to cook something simple but tasty that your mom gets to try and you can tell her it's got x amount of protein and y amount of vitamins she might not see it as such a bad thing and develop a friendlier attitude to the idea. Making your own complete meals can be fun but it might be a lot of work so one thing I know some people do is eat the same vegetables/side dishes as the rest of their family (which you could help make too?) but have something different as their main protein source. This could be something as simple as store-bought meatless burger or as cheap as some beans with some seasonings added.

Source(s): 30 years of personal experience.

I became a vegetarian when i was 11 and 5 years later i'm still in perfect health.

I became a vegetarian aged 9 and I've stuck to it. I love eating vegetarian and it's helathier and better for the enviroment too. It's a bit difficult because some people in my family eat meat.

Watch out though, apparently you lose alot of iron during periods and lots of iron is found in meat so you may have to take daily tablets.

i became vegetarian at 11 and still am at 28 and im really glad and super healthy. the part youd have to think about is making your own meals. do you like cooking? is your mom going to buy enough vegetarian food, proteins like lentils and tofu and all, for you to cook with? if your not sure you could start by just cutting out red meat, or just eating fish or something like that, and if that goes well, then go all the way.

Source(s): personal experience

It wont be an issue, if you get the right nutrients, exercise, vitamins. You just have to educate yourself and talk with your parents about wanting the change. They might not make you the food, but they can still be supportive ESPECIALLY if you educate them. And with you making your own meals..you will be an amazing cook by the time you move out!

Hello Addie,

first of all, I commend you for making this decision at your age. I also had the impression that eating animals is not right when I was about your age, but it took me until I was 20 to finally become vegetarian. (And then it took me 20 more years as a vegetarian to realize that cows and chickens aren't treated correctly at all by the dairy and egg industry and to go all the way and go vegan).

I guess your mother simply wants what is best for you - but unfortunately she is most likely not really informed on the issue and (like most people) takes the marketing ploys of the meat, egg and dairy industry that animal products are required for health as correct information.

So don't believe me, the animal product lobbyists or anybody else who comments on internet forums, but rather look to experts for advice. One such group of experts is the ADA, the American Dietetic association, the largest association of nutrition experts on the planet.

Since about 2000, it has been the ADA's firm and expressed position that "appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes."

Please note that the key word here is "appropriately planned". If you simply do not eat hamburgers anymore, but rather have french fries, ketchup, cupcake and coke as your normal diet, then you will not be a healthy person (If you eat that plus the burgers, you will also not be a healthy person, but nobody will give you grief for it).

So do your homework! Research the issue and draw up a menu plan that provides you with sufficient amounts of protein, vitamins (especially B12), and essential trace elements. Show your mother that you have researched the issue (and probably know more about nutrition than herself at some point) and that you know what you are doing. Maybe she thinks it is a 'fad' or something that you are doing to get attention. Show her that you care and that you are even willing to cook for yourself if you have to. Then she will hopefully realize that it is something you care about, that you have researched and that will actually help you to live a healthy life.

The largest study on the connection between nutrition and health, the "China study" conducted by Cornell University and Chinese researchers, showed that those people in China, who abandon their old plant-based diet and embrace a Western lifestyle, get diseases like cardiac disease, cancer, diabetes and multiple others at the same rate that we, in so-called "civilized countries" have these diseases. Those who do not consume animal products, do not get this diseases. It's really a very simple and convincing correlation.

There is also a good book by a young woman named Claire Askew called "Generation V" that deals exactly with this kind of problems - how can a young person become vegan and convince parents, teachers and others who do not think that this is a good idea. I guess it might be helpful for you.

Best regards,

Andy

PS: About that "Vegetarian-Vegan" thing ...

As I mentioned, I was vegetarian myself for 20 years, before I informed myself and found out some very basic (but little known) facts like that cows have to give birth to a calf (that is then slaughtered, if it is male, or also raised as dairy cow, if female) before they can give milk ... so they have to be impregnated every year until they are no longer productive at about 5 years of age (as opposed to their natural lifespan of 25), then they are slaughtered for hamburgers. So when I finally found out about that 2 years ago, I went vegan and have not looked back ever since ... and I wish I had researched that earlier. That's the only reason why I am telling you this, please feel free to ignore it...

Source(s): ADA position paper: http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357 Vegetarian resource group: http://www.vrg.org/ http://www.thechinastudy.com/ http://www.amazon.de/Generation-Complete-Guide-Sta... 20 years as vegetarian, 2 years as vegan, and healthier than most of my co-workers who are 10 years younger than myself...

Yes, it is VERY healthy!! I was a Vegan at one point in my life and I felt so healthy, but sooner or later I had to have my cocoa puffs lol, so I switched to vegetarian. Go ahead and do it. Be who YOU want to be. And no...I do not work for barbie.

Source(s): Vegetarian myself actually.

go for it im the same age as you i have recently become a pescatarian (like a vegetarian but eats fish) and ive never felt better GO FOR IT

It depends on if you get the proper amount of protein daily. Vegetarians eat a certain amount of fruits and vegetables in order to get their protein. They also drink protein shakes. My advice to you is to not cut off on all meat :)