What does it mean to be secure in your masculinity (men) or your femininity (women)?

To me, it means that you don't feel you have to act a certain way to prove you are manly or womanly enough. That a man can do things like dance ballet or wear pink without being ashamed, and that a woman can go outside without having done her make-up or hair without being ashamed.

What do you think?

Favorite Answer

As a male, to be secure in my masculinity, I first need to exhibit masculine tendencies. Second, I need to be secure or confident in those, not second guess them because of politically correct influences.

The same argument holds for femininity

~

Being secure in my masculinity means not being ashamed for being a guy. I've been proud of being a guy ever since the Phallic Stage of childhood when I began to take pride in the fact that I have a penis.

You are partially right....excluding the ballet and pink thing. Many men like to say "I'm secure enough to wear pink." Why bother trying to impress the world by wearing pink? I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I don't have to wear pink to prove than I'm secure in my masculinity. In fact, I don't have to do ANYTHING to show/prove it.

Well when someone says that a guy is secure in his masculinity they are usually just joking and know that he has no masculinity. Never heard of someone being secure of their feminity.

Usually when I hear someone talking about a guy being "secure in his masculinity" they are talking about some "metrosexual" douche that wears tight bright clothing and spends way too much time grooming.

Source(s): Being secure in your masculinity is when you know that you don't need to overgroom yourself, and dress up in flashy clothing to get girls, because you keep it real when you are secure. You can tell someone is secure in their masculinity when they are not afraid to get dirty, work hard as fudge, and like to get shit done outside instead of spending all there time in some mall.

my thinking seems to run similar to yours on this.

to me it means for a man to define for himself what it means to be masculine, or for a woman to define femininity for herself, rather than going by the opinions of society or culture.

• .

I wouldn't know. I never felt secure in my life: too much family female criticism.

• Q

I agree with your definition of the sentiment.