What is the ORIGIN of "From the bottom of my heart"?

Please please please I know how it is meant to be used!!!!!!

I just need to know the origin of the phrase!!!!!

Favorite Answer

It was Stevie Wonder.

edit: never mind it was this guy:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sWfPAbmsQLI/UQcC3a_gEWI/...

The meaning is "with sincere and deep feeling." Two ideas on the origin, both intuitive rather than scholarly: People often feel emotion in their chests, specifically in a place that's about where the bottom of the heart is. When thinking of the heart as the seat of emotion, people may conceive of it as a (metaphorical) container that fills up with feeling, so that "from the bottom" means the heart is filled through-and-through with love or gratitude or whatever, not just partly filled. (Think of the bottom of the inside of the heart, not the bottom of the outer surface.) The opposite kind of imagery appears in "off the top of my head," meaning that an idea is superficial.

It goes back to the ancient greeks. The famouse philosipher, Archimedes, hypothesised that the brain chanelled the blood and that the heart did all the thinking and the feeling. Therefore if you wanted to say thank you in a very deep and meaningful way, you would say "thank you from the bottom of my heart", as that would be where all the most meaningful feelings were supposed to be. That's alos why we have hearts as a symbol of love today. Nobody bothered to change it, I guess.

Source(s): wiki//

I cannot tell you the origin but I can tell you what it feels like which is why I was looking to see if there was an origin. Recently, I have lost loved ones and believe I have felt a pain which seems to be from below the heart (bottom of my heart). I believe this is what a broken heart feels like and the only thing left there is truth to one's self. I also believe that this is where true greatness of the human spirit resides if it can be harnessed.

• Beast

Dear David, Chet has it wrong. In the Middle Ages, people believed that the heart was literally the seat of emotions. As in the old saying "I know it by heart." They also believed that the powers of memory were literally in the heart. I used to wonder about the origin myself.

Source(s): trivia hound