Where did the term "TGIF" come from?

Who used it first, where did it originate, do you use it, how popular do you think it is, etc, etc.

Favorite Answer

This phrase has been around for nearly forty years. A disk jockey coined the phrase in the early 70's, it also was the title of a movie by the same phrase, and a restaurant chain called "TGI Fridays" is still in business.

"Starting in the United States, it has become a common expression of relief at the end of the work week and anticipation of relaxing or partying over the weekend. The term was originated by the Akron, Ohio disk jockey Jerry Healy on radio station WAKR in the early 1970s.[citation needed] The phrase was further popularised by the 1978 movie starring Donna Summer, Thank God It’s Friday. The phrase has also become common for advertising and promotional materials. On college campuses beginning in the 1970s, the phrase (sometimes shortened to "TG") became associated with Friday afternoon beer parties, usually held outdoors." (Wikipedia)

Personally, I don't use the phrase and am not a proponent of using it. In my mind the normal usage is blaspemous, although a person could obviously use the phrase in a proper way. There is nothing wrong with being thankful to God because it is the end of the work week.

I'm not sure but I do thank God I made it to Friday. I could have been shot by some loon on a rampage at the mall, or a old gas line could have blown my apartment to the moon, or an earthquake could have pinched my head off between two slabs of cement or my car could have exploded after landing upside down in a sinkhole that just opened up as I was driving over that spot or any one of a zillion other things that just has not happened YET so:

Jos:24:15: And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. ♥ † ♥ ☺

Happy Days 1974

• campa

Who Started Tgi Fridays

I used the phrase "Tfif" (Thank F### It's Friday) about 1963. I had never knowingly heard or read it. I believe it was new to me. So perhaps I invented it, though that's probably a stretch.

• Josh G

Its not a term. It is an initialism http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/initialism

It may go way back that people thanked G-d it was friday as it ushered in the Sabbath day of rest which traditionally started on the evening (night fall) of Friday.

I believe the irreverent term, "Thank God it's Friday" originated in the 1980's and was coined by some moron of a British television programme presenter.

I remember there was a chain of themed restaurants/bars bearing that name in the U.K. but I don't know if they still exist (I clearly don't get out often enough).

It is a term that makes me cringe, and I've never used it in my life. I would like to think it has slipped into obscurity.

I believe there was a Donna Summer song from long ago named "Thank God it's Friday". Somewhere along the line, the 4 letter thing just started and stuck after that.