Jill B
Jill B asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What is the meaning of "The Catcher in the Rye"?

And i don't mean the story or anything, i mean the TITLE itself.

What does it mean?

The Catcher... in the Rye.

What's a rye?

Favorite Answer

Have you read the book? It's like a big wheat field and the main character wishes to be the "Catcher in the Rye" when children are playing too close to a cliff, he wants to be the one that saves them.

Edit: Holden: "You know that song, 'If a body catch a body comin' through the rye'?..."

Phoebe: "It's 'If a body meet a body coming through the rye'!... It's a poem. By Robert Burns."

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be." ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 22, spoken by the character Holden Caulfield

Rye Meaning

• Lisa

Yes I agree I think sex is special, but in the world today it is way over rated. People pay for it online, through TV, street corners, and some stores. Most people only care about getting off and the feeling from sex. I'm probably one of the very few guys who can't just have a one night stand. I have to have feelings for someone to have sex with them, I know most guys will say i'm lame but to me it isn't special unless it's with someone special. If I just want the feeling then I can do that all by myself. And no I did not wait till marriage but I kind of wish I did. I mean I have been with 3 different girls and to me at the time with them I felt it would last forever. I'm on girl number 3 and I hope it does last forever.

what is the meaning of catcher in the rye

What is the story about??? The meaning? Could it be about people we meet? Read it and get back to us please!

Rye is like wheat, haven't you heard of rye bread?

And rye grows like wheat, quickly and a weed if not controlled.

The protagonist was amongst the weeds (rye) but someone helped him out of it (the catcher).

Okay, I made that all up. We have google for a reason, you know.