Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

Is boat insurance required in new york state?

I am looking into buying a boat. we have an old boat that has been sitting in our back yard for over five years, and it is total junk. Is boat insurance required in New York state, and if so, how much would the average annual price be?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • mark t
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No there is not a law in NY that requires insurance. As stated above if you finance it the bank will want you to have it but also no matter what your marina will most likely want insurance also. You will want insurance when you realize how much you could be on the hook for should you have an accident. As for getting the best price, my home owners insurance could not match the price I got from BoatUS. Take a safety course and you should get a discount.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Is Boat Insurance Required

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is boat insurance required in new york state?

I am looking into buying a boat. we have an old boat that has been sitting in our back yard for over five years, and it is total junk. Is boat insurance required in New York state, and if so, how much would the average annual price be?

Source(s): boat insurance required york state: https://shortly.im/5ubDE
  • 1 decade ago

There is no NYS law that requires you to have insurance on your boat. However, if you finance your boat, the Bank or Lending company probably will. The cost of boat insurance however is not anywhere near the cost of auto insurance.

I can not even estimate how much it might cost you, as you give no mention of the kind, size, type, or value, of your boat... In addition, there are a multitude of options and deductibles to choose from.

I can tell you that if you are a homeowner, adding your boat as a rider to your homeowners policy will assuredly be the best (lowest) rate.

Happy & Safe Boating,

John

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Boat insurance is not required in NY. Marinas where boats are kept require insurance. Liability insurance is a good idea and is not expensive. If you are talking about a trailered boat, your cat insurance will generally cover the boat.

• 6 years ago

not required in nys but you should have just in case. there are a lot of companies that can provide you with a quote depending on the policy you need. I used this company for my yacht coverage:

http://www.clausenagency.com/2014/06/30/new-york-c...

good luck!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av0Dl

No, if you owe money on it then the lien holder would, or if you have it at a marina then they would want you to have it.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Frankly, I have a different opinion

• 4 years ago

Thanks for the answers everyone <3

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.