History of WWII. The Second Front?

I need help with a essay question for my u.s. history class. Finals are in a few hours!!! Ok here goes. The "Second Front" issue divided the allies. Explain the difference of opinion between Roosevelt and Churchill on one side and Stalin on the other.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • paul s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The second front refers to Stalin's wish for the western allies open another front in Europe in 1942 against the germans to take the pressure of the Russians on the Eastern Front. (An invasion of France)

He wanted the Allies to invade mainland Europe as soon as possible to force the Germans to withdraw some of their troops from the Eastern Front. During this period of the war the Germans were pushing far into Southern Russia heading towards Stalingrad.

Roosevelt was keen and willing to launch an invasion in 42 or 43 but Churchill and the british did not think it would be successful. The allies did not have any landing craft, they did not have air superiority and the British Army was still under prepared and equipped to face the german army in Europe again. While the British had a powerful naval and Airforce more would still be needed. The American's were still in the process of putting an army together, their industrial might was only just beinging and they had no troops with any combat experiance at all. Their navy was heavily involved in the Pacific and new units would be needed for the European Front. Their airforce had old and outdated planes which would have been no match for the German airforce which was still a powerful force at this stage of the war.

The British Command including Churchill were still haunted by the mass slaughter of the First world war, and as such wanted to ensure they had enough planes, tanks, men and ships to increse the chances of any invasion being successful, during 1942 and 1943 the allies were still a long way from this and a rift started between the western allies on this issue. It was only with great reluctance that the British actually agreed to an invasion in 1944 in the end.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

History of WWII. The Second Front?

I need help with a essay question for my u.s. history class. Finals are in a few hours!!! Ok here goes. The "Second Front" issue divided the allies. Explain the difference of opinion between Roosevelt and Churchill on one side and Stalin on the other.

Source(s): history wwii front: https://tr.im/2xC81
    • ?4 years agoReport

what did you end up getting for this question I have a simillar final

• 4 years ago

Russia wanted the second front opened as soon as possible, to reduce the Russian casualties. Churchill wanted the Russian and German armies to obliterate each other, to reduce Russia's influence after the war. When it became clear that Russia could beat Germany on its own, the second front was launched, but still the Russians beat the UK and US to Berlin, enslaving Eastern Europe for 45 years. Roosevelt was duped by both the UK and USSR.

• arndt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Second Front

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Churchill wanted Roosevelt to come into the war right away and not wait until the USA got attacked. Stalin just wanted to build his territory up and did not much care what else happen. Stalin needed both the Brits and US to attack Germany right away to start a second front to take the pressure off Russia because they were getting kicked hard. Both Churchill and Roosevelt did not trust the Russians and the French and wanted to protect British and US Holdings.

• Nadia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

history wwii front

• Andree
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/7SSDi

which 2nd front, i am assuming you mean operation overlord, ( altough the italian campaign was the "orignial 2nd front" ) its really hard to say one book in particular, anothney beever has wrote some quite good books, however i would say max hastings overlord and his d day one well anything by sir max, hes quite good

• 3 years ago

“If we see that Germany is winning we ought to help Russia and if Russia is winning we ought to help Germany, and that way let them kill as many as possible, although I don t want to see Hitler victorious under any circumstances. Neither of them thinks anything of their pledged " Harry S. Truman

• vlad5rov3 years agoReport

Some facts and explanations are given here: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-allies-second-front-in-world-war-ii-why-were-canadian-troops-sacrificed-at-dieppe/32403

• 5 years ago

h

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.