Tayler asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

HOW MANY PEOPLE A YEAR ARE KILLED BY PITBULLS?

i just almost got attacked by one and my mom was wondering PLZ help me i live next door to one

20 Answers

Relevance
  • K-Dawg
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have truly been "attacked" by a pit bull I'm guessing you'd be on your way to hospital, or at least a Doctors office, to get your wounds treated.

Also, if your neighbours dog has attacked you, you have a responsibility to report it to the authorities as a dangerous dog.

What provoked the dog to "attack" you? and where were you that it had the opportunity to do so?

Source(s): Passionate dog owner and animal lover.
  • 6 years ago

Wow, defenders of pit bulls unite! How about just answer the question.. from http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatali... here are facts

38 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2012.2 Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 600 U.S. cities,3 pit bulls contributed to 61% (23) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up less than 5% of the total U.S. dog population.4

Together, pit bulls (23) and rottweilers (3), the second most lethal dog breed, accounted for 68% of all fatal attacks in 2012. In the 8-year period from 2005 to 2012, this combination accounted for 73% (183) of the total recorded deaths (251).

The breakdown between pit bulls and rottweilers is substantial over this 8-year period. From 2005 to 2012, pit bulls killed 151 Americans, about one citizen every 19 days, versus rottweilers, which killed 32, about one citizen every 91 days.

Annual data from 2012 shows that 50% (19) of the victims were adults, 21-years and older, and the other half were children, ages 8-years and younger. Of the total children killed by dogs in 2012, 79% (15) were ages 2-years and younger.

• 4 years ago

Yes there are trainging techniques that you can use, lucky for you, i am a dog trainer. Learn here https://tr.im/NzvHv

Have you ever heard of the "leave it" command. It is veryimportant your dog learns this. To teach it to your dog, start with something you use as a treat. Put it on the floor infront of your dog. When your dog lunges for it, but your hand over it and say "leave it" really strenly, so your dog gets the message. Do this a few times until your dog gets the idea. When your dog has performed this well, gove him the OK and let him have the treat with you okey dokey command, which could be anything to tell him he canhave the treat.

Then move up a level. Put the treat in your hand and hold it near your dogs nose, finger pointing up. If your dog tries to snatch it, say "leave it" When your dog's nose points in another direction ither than the treat, you've been succesful. Now take it to the next and final level.... the dinner table. sit at the table and enjoy a meal. When your dog begins to beg, enforce the leave it command. if your dog doesn't leave, tell your dog to lay down somewhere in the room far away.

I understand if you like having your dogs with you while you eat so the location of you dog while training is essential. Keep you dog as far away as possible. If you see your dog sneaking over to your table, make eyecontact and enforce the leave it command. If your dog gets up, it isn't obeying, now you need to stand up and make eyecontact. This tells your dog you're ready to do whatever it takes to keep him away from YOUR food. ALWAYS make eyecontact while your eating and your dog is laying down. Make frequent eye contact so your dog can't sneak up to the table with out you knowing. I've done this with many people, and it works even for the worst of beggars. This training may take time, but have perserverence ok? And NEVER feed the dog at the table. It encourages begging.

• 1 decade ago

These type of questions in regards to Pit Bulls make me MAD!

WHY does your mom have to know so badly about how many people are killed by this breed????

A Rottweiler or Chow (or any other breed) can kill x amount of people a year just as easily as a Pit Bull can.

Stay away from the dog that "almost" attacked you, and focus on your worry on more important things in life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Despite their "fearsome" reputation, very few pit bulls ever attack a human. Let alone, actually kill a human. Breed has nothing to do with aggression. Many other breeds of dogs also turn on humans due to abuse, neglect, and thanks to the popularity of illegal dog fighting. Any true expert will tell you that there are no aggressive breeds. They are only stupid and cruel people who mistreat them.

Infact, pit bulls are one of the most abused breed of dogs out there. A pit bull attacked a woman and her dog in near my hometown. A famous dog breeder who owns a dog training facility nearby came to the breed's defense. She is famous for training police dogs and search and rescue dogs. Here's the article:

http://thesouthern.com/news/opinion/editorial/metr...

Any breed can be vicious. I actually knew a lady whose baby was killed by a collie! It apparently wasn't trained correctly and just yanked this baby by the head killing it! It was never put down either because of it was a member of a supposed "docile" breed. It lived to a ripe old age too!

Despite abuse by humans, we are in much more danger from wild canines such as wolfs and coyotes, then from own domestic dogs. Infact, my husband's family lives in a Wisconson town that lies only an hour away from the Canadian border. You can't even take a walk there without a gun and a good pair of dogs. You'll be wolf bait if you walk alone.

However, even wolf pups and wolf hybrids have been successfully domesticated to love humans too. It all depends on how you train a dog and how you treat it. If you do not train it properly, why won't it misbehave? If you mistreat an animal, then why wouldn't it attack you? I would. What creature wouldn't. Sadly, most pit bull attacks happen to innocent people after they were abused by horrible owners. That's why they have such a bad reputation.

• 6 years ago

Now see 4 years later and the perverse supporters did not heed the warning but allowed so many more kids and elderly to be mauled to death by this land shark demon dog. We are now at the Pit bull attacking on average every 17 days and making up for over 70% of attacks on humans a year. Since 2004 over 170 people have been killed by the pit bull and pit/mixes. Why is it anytime facts/stats are given, people thumbs down and reject the numbers?. Your ignorance is killing people and you will answer to God someday for it.

• 1 decade ago

just to give you a clearer view...

http://caninecoalition.com/dog-breeds/Pit-Bull

and a few things to consider when asking a question like this... how many people are killed in the US each year by guns? lightning? car accidents, cancer, heart attack, stroke, and simple old age... the answer is thousands by each individual topic. less than 5 people are killed each year by APBTs most of which is the owners responsibility or lack there of, people are ignorant and irresponsible as to how t hey raise their dogs. but the real question is who should be held accountable? the dog that acts as the master tells it to or the owner who encourages the horrendous act?

i have a question for you, was the one you almost got attacked by the one you live next to? if not then i'd encourage you to meet the dog with the owners permission, and see what you think about it rather than jumping to conclusions and blaming the actions of one on an entire breed. you are more likely to get killed by lightning or a shark attack than by a pit bull.

Source(s): www.pbrc.net
  • 1 decade ago

Under 10 people are killed by Pit Bulls every year. But over 100,000 Pit Bulls are killed every year by idiots and shelters.

Pit Bull attacks that end in fatalities barely make it into double figure but the amount of people killed by guns per year the figures make it into about 6 figures.

Oh BTW YOU ARE AN IDIOT and thanks for the 2 points!!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here are some statistics that you can read and show to your mom.

This is from a Three year study. 52 deaths attibuted to Pit Bulls in this time period.

--------------

Seattle, Washington (April 22, 2009) -- a multi-year report on U.S. dog bite fatalities. The report covers a 3-year period -- from January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008 -- and analyzes data gathered from 88 dog bite incidences that caused death to a U.S. citizen.

The report documents dog breed information, property information (where the attack occurred) as well as dog bite victim age information.

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13).

Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

The report also shows that of the six victim age groups documented, the 55 and older group suffered the most fatalities 26% (23), followed by the 2-4 age group 22% (19). Between the ages of 0-4, the study reveals that 14% (12) of the fatal attacks involved a "watcher," a person such as a grandparent or babysitter watching the child. Of these attacks, 75% (9) involved a grandparent type.

Colleen Lynn, adds, "The off-property statistical data about pit bulls shows just how dangerous they are." She noted that six senior citizens were killed under these circumstances: "Two were killed while standing in their own backyard," she said. "Four others were killed while taking a morning walk or getting the mail."

References to senior citizen victims include: Jimmie McConnell, 71, Henry Piotrowski, 90, Carshena Benjamin, 71, Luna McDaniel, 83, John Brannaman, 81 and Rosalie Bivins, 65.

You can download a very detailed report at this site

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-dog-bite-...

• 1 decade ago

ur really a dum idiot, pit bulls arent bad dogs, its the owner and how they train the dogs. Pit bulls are some of the kindess dogs, idk what ur worrying about. all dogs are good dogs, and you cant judge pitbull, they bite because people train them to fight. a pit bull in the early 1900's was name one of the best dogs in the usa. a chow chow would bite someone, more then a pitbull would

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.