Anonymous

What is a Desi girl? .?

What does this mean?? There are two Indian users on here and at first I thought their names were both Desi. One is "Desi Princess" and I think the other is just "Desi Girl". Does anyone know what that means??

wtf happened to all of my answers?!?!

Favorite Answer

Desi is someone of south asian origin..itss a name by which we identify as a group..like black women like to call themselves sistahs and men brotha s..something like that..i am an indian..so i am a desi girrrlll!!

edit..@Mischa *crєolє diva*..how the hell am i trying to act white?..plzzz explain..

Its a name for people from south asia. Desi Girl is cool, Desi Princess is that weirdo afnan.

• Desi means A person with South Asian Ancestry (Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal.)

It means South Asian. People from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. refer to themselves and their culture as Desi.

Etymology

From Hindi देसी (desī, “national”) / Urdu دیسی (desī, “national”). Essentially 'Desi' comes from the word - Des or Desh, which means Country in Hindi or Sanskrit. Thus, a 'desi' is 'a person from or originally belonging to' 'Des'. Since almost all the South Asian nations (along with their thousands of dialects can somehow relate to the word 'Des', I call all South Asians as 'Desis' - Venkat Manda

Indian,(South Asian in general)

Usage notes

Essentially 'Desi' comes from the word - Des or Desh, which means Country in Hindi or Sanskrit. Thus, a 'desi' is 'a person from or originally belonging to' 'Des'. Since almost all the South Asian nations (along with their thousands of dialects can somehow relate to the word 'Des', I call all South Asians as 'Desis' - Venkat Manda

For South Asians abroad, it has become a term that mainly identifies other fellow Indians.

e.g.: Desi food refers to South Asian food like rice, daal, chappati etc.

Desi dance can refer to the popular dances in the movies to Punjabi dance, Bhangra to classical dances like Bharathnatya, Kuchipudi etc.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Desi

Desi : Anything of Indian origin.

desiVastra : Ethnic Indian Clothes.

http://www.desivastra.com/indianboutique/indianfas...

• .

lol..that's what some Indians (South Asians) refer to themselves as....some of my Indian classmates back in Highschool used to call themselves Desi..."Desi pride man"...lol

- Lives in a city populated by a lot of Indians...

That's funny because I have seen a "Desi Princess" say that she was Black on here. . . eh, must have been a troll or something.

Refers to someone from the indian subcontinent.

(India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka)

Source(s): Have known many people from there.

I love this place! I really do learn something new everyday.

• Idk, they probably trying to act white, idk what's going on but i know white folks ain't thinking about them like that<-----LMAO, but it means South Asian or something like that.