Are there college grants for seniors over 65?

Favorite Answer

Many universities offer discounts to older ppl and you are still eligible to apply for grants (www.fafsa.ed.gov) and student loans. Good luck going back to school as I have classes with a lady who is 70.

Many universities allow senior citizens to "audit" courses for a small fee, such as $10 a class. These students attend class, and can complete all the assignments if they wish, but they don't have to do the assignments with the permission of the instructor. No grade is given for the course.

I can't wait until I get older because there are a lot of classes I want to take to learn new things, but I don't want to pay tuition anymore. The classes aren't for career purposes, but just because I want to explore a few new areas.

Most state financed colleges offer free classes as available to seniors (age varies according to the school), but no credits are given. I am 59, got my first Associate's Degree at 58, and am working for a college's distance learning program as a teaching assistant. I would love to take more courses, but not sure I want non-credit ones.

I'm not quite sure, but i do know that some colleges allow seniors to audit classes, all they have to pay is admission fees, and they can attend any classes they want with permission from the professors, but if you are actually looking to earn the credits or a degree that is different.

It likely depends on your school or university, as well as state aid programs. Many universities and colleges have tuition wavers for people over 65 or allow you to audit classes for free (or for a nominal fee). Talk to the school's financial aid office; they'll be your best source of information.

Congrats on your return to school!

Grants are generally given on basis of financial need and how many class you take.

Good luck

Chamberlainjk

you will receive a discount and there are scholarships for adult students at most universities also check with the financial aid office at the college that you plan to attend., good luck and you can do it.

Most likely. THat's really cool that you're going back to school.