koolpink123 asked in SportsRunning · 8 years ago

Difference Between Running And Toning Shoes?

So I'm planning on getting new shoes and I was looking at them on Finishline.com. I saw some that were toning shoes and some that were running shoes. I was wondering what is the difference? Can I run in toning shoes too?

~Thanks~

• Craig
    Favorite Answer

Running shoes are designed for a specific purpose of running!

Toning shoes have design features that are supposed to increase muscle activity and make you work harder .. ie 'toning'. There is debate if their is any actual benefit associated with that or not.

Theoretically running in a toning shoe will be harder, though some people do it (see the first link below) and make claims that it has benefit. the research supporting the claims is not there.

Toning shoes do also alter the posture a slight amount. For some people this alteration can be a positive change. For other this change can be a negative one. There is no clear guidance as to who will benefit.

Toning shoes are just a marketing ploy for shoes which have no proven benefit. Stick with good old running shoes.