The other 74 ranger regiments?

What exactly does the 75th Ranger regiment mean? Were there 74 other Ranger groups before this one? And I was watching the best Ranger competition, and the guys who won weren't even from the 75th Ranger Regiment? How the hell is that possible? How can they be Rangers, but not be from the 75th ranger regiment? ... show more What exactly does the 75th Ranger regiment mean? Were there 74 other Ranger groups before this one? And I was watching the best Ranger competition, and the guys who won weren't even from the 75th Ranger Regiment? How the hell is that possible? How can they be Rangers, but not be from the 75th ranger regiment?
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
Update: the guys who won didn't have Rangers in ANY part of what outfit they were from. but I don't understand, what exactly does regiment mean, and where did they get 75 from? what a random number.
Update 2: so it's actually the 75th infantry regiment, but they're called rangers? so is everyone in that regiment a ranger? and some soldiers complete ranger school, but then go to non-ranger units, yet they're still rangers?
Update 3: I'm still very confused...... is every ranger unit a part of the 75th? I don't know why I'm having a hard time understanding this concept. I need somebody to slowly and clearly break this down and explain it to me. the guy who said BTW there are airborne and whatever came close, but it still hasn't ... show more I'm still very confused...... is every ranger unit a part of the 75th? I don't know why I'm having a hard time understanding this concept. I need somebody to slowly and clearly break this down and explain it to me. the guy who said BTW there are airborne and whatever came close, but it still hasn't clicked. And no I'm not retarted. I'm actually smart.