could sex change occur naturally in humans?

I know this sounds very stupid but I am taking a seminar course and we've been studying a case in which members of an isolated tribe from New Guinea experience sex change. All members of the trible are initially born females.. at one point, all the children are taken somewhere by the Elder where the undergo secret rituals. After they return, about half of them that used to have female genetalia have male. They are welcomed by the men into the tribe's men community.

Now, i've looked all over google and wikipedia and found nothing.. The prof insisted that this actually happen and he wants us to research this topic.... i am screwed.

ANY background on this would be appreciated.. thanks

***American Transcendentalist***, trust me, this is NOT made up.. I thought it was a hypothetical designed by the prof but they stressed that this is factual.. I find it just as mind-boggling as you do. You might be intrigued to know that the dean himself is teaching the same course (i am not in his section though)

thanks for your answer anyway.

***Radgal*** that was the most helpful answer. thank you very much, I just emailed Zoe.

***American jerk*** i responded very nicely to you at first and i did not deserve that tone.

guess what? you don't know every single phenomenon that occurs in the universe. you will never get anywhere in life if you keep this arrogant attitude of yours.. that's what i find pathetic.

when i find documents regarding this i will be sure to show you.

** Zoe B** I COULDN'T BE MORE GRATEFUL!!!

** we are all crazy [and others like him ** did you call me an idiot?? why are many of you so hostile towards me for no reason?!?! such a horrible bunch of people on this site.. some of you are plain b**chy

Favorite Answer

There is a grain of truth there - but the changes happen at normal pubescent rates, over years, not through any ritual.

Nearly all natural "sex changes" in humans are from (somewhat, mostly, or completely) female to (somewhat, mostly, or completely) male. The handful of known cases of male-to-female changes are not well understood, and are less than 1% of the total.

There are two syndromes that cause female-to-male changes: 5alpha-reductase-2 deficiency (5alpha-RD-2) and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 deficiency (17beta-HSD-3).

It is particularly prevalent in the Dominican Republic, some Pacific Islands, and amongst the Simbari of Papua New Guinea. The rate in the Dominican Republic is 1 in 90, but in the general US population, the combined rate of 5ARD and 17BHDD would not exceed 1 in 40,000, and may be half that.

The head of OII (Organisation Intersex International) has 5ARD.

I'm one of the handful of male-to-female natural changes by the way. Another answer gave my blog URL, which covered several years before things changed, and the 3 years so far afterwards.

All changes of this nature in Humans are not as complete as the sex-reversals commonly found in various species of fish, amphibia and lizards. Some apparently normally female "girls" with 5ARD can masculinise enough to become fathers though.

Source(s): Gender change in 46,XY persons with 5alpha-reductase-2 deficiency and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 deficiency. by Cohen-Ketternis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16010463?ordina... 17β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 deficiency: A rare endocrine cause of male-to-female sex reversal by Bertolloni et al Gynecological Endocrinology, Volume 22, Issue 9 September 2006 , pages 488 - 494. http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all?co... The sambia “turnim-man”: Sociocultural and clinical aspects of gender formation in male pseudohermaphrodites with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency in Papua New Guinea by Herdt and Davidson http://www.springerlink.com/content/r6j414jl567860...

2

Source(s): Watch Hot Girls Alone : http://CamGz.com/?jpjr
  • Debra

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awXTt

Gods aren't real, so the rules they dictate to their followers can mean whatever the followers want them to mean. The Bible is a book of myths and parables that reference some real people and places, but it is hardly a factual account of human history. Because it was deliberately written in a vague fashion, it is highly interpretable (as evidenced by the 1000+ sects of Christianity, all with their own interpretations.) Transsexualism is a naturally occurring developmental aberration, comparable to being born with a caudal appendage (tail), a cleft palate, a clubbed foot, ectrodactyly, congenital blindness, FAS, and hundreds of other conditions. Whether it is purely developmental, genetic, or a combination of both is not known, but it occurs in every culture on Earth since the beginning of recorded history, which more or less indicates it's not a learned behavior or a choice. Furthermore, no culture has ever found an effective treatment other than physical transition. Transsexualism is clearly something that affects humans both naturally, and universally. The only reasonable explanation is that it is a part of the human condition, and there's no reason why any person should have to suffer from an agonizing condition their whole lives because some foolish doctrine written by bronze-age goat herders says they must.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I know this sounds very stupid but I am taking a seminar course and we've been studying a case in which members of an isolated tribe from New Guinea experience sex change. All members of the trible are initially born females.. at one point, all the children are taken somewhere by the Elder...

Source(s): sex change occur naturally humans: https://shortly.im/NZvL9

Spontaneous Sex Change

• Dione

The Bible does not mention transsexualism or sex change, these are concepts which are far newer than the text of The Bible. To those who view transsexualism as a declaration that "God made a mistake": I do not view my condition as a mistake. I believe that I am transsexual for a reason. What that reason is, I do not know. I can guess that it is so that I can act as a vehicle for teaching people about acceptance of those who are different. Edit: Jabbah, where in the Bible does it say that car parts are an abomination? I didn't think that they were invented in that time frame.

Oh yes, it is possible. Sex is not permanent after all, at least not in humans or mice. Even in adulthood, if a single sex gene is modified or deleted, it causes sex to reverse.

When someone begins hormone therapy (HRT), then they more or less undergo a secondary puberty, which does indeed make biological changes to the body, so yes, it is very possible to change sex.

• 4 years agoReport

Sex is only maintained by our genes, these genes have to constantly fight in battle to preserve your gonads.

I think I heard of that. But it is only symbolic. They believe that woman can only bear women, and only men can bear men, so men have to take all the boys in the village, and perform a ritual in the woods, which involves a trench, and covering the boys in leaves were they are then pulled out by the men. It is a second "birth" were they are born men from men. There is so actually physical change, and I never heard of people naturally physically changing sex after birth. The womb is another story, like male fetuses who are immune to testosterone developing into girls.

Source(s): Antropology class

OMG!

I heard this exact same theory when I went to a human biology course last year for high school!

Were you in the same seminar?

I don't know if it's true or not.

i have never heard anything on this, but it would be a really interesting topic. i know that there is a certain specie of fish that will change its if it is needed to do so for reproduction. i dont really know much about it, but it is very interesting to learn unusual things on how certain species survive.