Could sex change occur naturally in humans?

I know this sounds very stupid but I am taking a seminar course and we've been studying a case in which members of an isolated tribe from New Guinea experience sex change. All members of the trible are initially born females.. at one point, all the children are taken somewhere by the Elder where the undergo... show more I know this sounds very stupid but I am taking a seminar course and we've been studying a case in which members of an isolated tribe from New Guinea experience sex change. All members of the trible are initially born females.. at one point, all the children are taken somewhere by the Elder where the undergo secret rituals. After they return, about half of them that used to have female genetalia have male. They are welcomed by the men into the tribe's men community.

Now, i've looked all over google and wikipedia and found nothing.. The prof insisted that this actually happen and he wants us to research this topic.... i am screwed.

ANY background on this would be appreciated.. thanks
Update: ***American Transcendentalist***, trust me, this is NOT made up.. I thought it was a hypothetical designed by the prof but they stressed that this is factual.. I find it just as mind-boggling as you do. You might be intrigued to know that the dean himself is teaching the same course (i am not in his section... show more ***American Transcendentalist***, trust me, this is NOT made up.. I thought it was a hypothetical designed by the prof but they stressed that this is factual.. I find it just as mind-boggling as you do. You might be intrigued to know that the dean himself is teaching the same course (i am not in his section though)

thanks for your answer anyway.
Update 2: ***Radgal*** that was the most helpful answer. thank you very much, I just emailed Zoe.
Update 3: ***American jerk*** i responded very nicely to you at first and i did not deserve that tone. guess what? you don't know every single phenomenon that occurs in the universe. you will never get anywhere in life if you keep this arrogant attitude of yours.. that's what i find pathetic. when i find... show more ***American jerk*** i responded very nicely to you at first and i did not deserve that tone.

guess what? you don't know every single phenomenon that occurs in the universe. you will never get anywhere in life if you keep this arrogant attitude of yours.. that's what i find pathetic.

when i find documents regarding this i will be sure to show you.
Update 4: ** Zoe B** I COULDN'T BE MORE GRATEFUL!!!

** we are all crazy [and others like him ** did you call me an idiot?? why are many of you so hostile towards me for no reason?!?! such a horrible bunch of people on this site.. some of you are plain b**chy