Okay, so about 60 percent of people are net consumers and 40 percent are net producers. 60 percent live off the backs of the other 40 percent.
Now, the thing about blood money is that it corrupts the soul. People who consume government resources are actually consuming the blood money of other people. They become corrupt as a result and--slowly, ever so slowly--they begin to feel entitled; they don't even feel guilty or disappointed in themselves by living off other people anymore.
So they continually grow more and more corrupt and they vote for politicians who promise to make the small percentage of producers share their hard-earned money with themselves because, well, it's their "fair share".