I was already a young adult when Reagan was elected. In fact 1980 was my first time voting. What I remember about Reagan's presidency are:
1. Reagan, the US went from being the world's largest creditor nation to the largest debtor nation in just a few years - and we have remained the largest debtor nation ever since. In 1981, Reagan's first year in office, the US was a net creditor to the tune of $140.9bn. By 1987, the US was a net debtor by $378.3bn - the largest debtor nation in the world. The figure rose to $532.5bn by the end of 1988, when Reagan left office.
2. The highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression - 11.3%
3. The loss of our industrial base and the jobs which went with it- outsourcing to other countries.
4. Personal indebtedness
5.Government debt. Before Reagan, debt really wasn't a problem for America. Under him debt tripled.
6. Cronyism in the cabinet resulting in $600 toilet seats for the Army as well as many other abuses of military and other budget expenses.
7. Iran-Contra which included bargaining with terrorists, large scale cover ups, lying
8. 241 American servicemen,French servicemen, 6 civilians killed by terrorists in Beirut while on a completely undefined military mission. Reagan responded the by invading the island of Grenada 2 days later.
9. At least 3 unsuccessful invasions of Libya with the intent to kill Muammar al-Gaddafi.
10. The useless War on Drugs and all the harm it has caused
An abysmal record. Why is he revered and by whom?