Check my answers for me?
11. Which one of these sentences contains a prepositional phrase?
**A. Trolls live under bridges; elves do not.
B. To be, or not to be: that is the question.
C. You may think otherwise, but what I tell you is true.
D. Where did you find the papers that I lost?
12. In the sentence "I want to sleep when I'm tired," the words "to sleep" are a/an
A. predicate adjective.
B. indirect object.
**C. infinitive phrase.
D. prepositional phrase.
13. The following sentence is an example of which primary English sentence pattern?
The toddler tossed his father the ball.
A. Pronoun+ subject+ interrogative verb
**B. Subject+ action verb+ indirect object+ direct object
C. Subject+ action verb + direct object
D. Subject+ verb +object +object complement
14. Which one of the following sentences is punctuated correctly?
A. I found a large, smooth, rock on the beach yesterday.
B. Darleen chose Tara, Holly, and, Marlene as her lab partners.
**C. She kept my surprise a secret, but she had a hard time doing it.
D. Della arrived on time, it was just two o'clock.
15. In which of the following sentences is a semicolon used correctly?
A. Joe watered; the garden yet the plants did not grow.
B. Joe watered the garden and; the plants did not grow.
**C. Joe watered the garden; however, the plants did not grow.
D. Joe watered the garden but the plants; did not grow.
16. Which of the following pairs of ideas could be combined into a compound sentence? (Remember that
only related ideas should be joined into a compound sentence.)
A. The weather had changed. The house seemed deserted.
B. The street lights were dim. The play was a success.
C. We watched the news on television. The girls walked quickly to school.
**D. The days became longer. The children could play outside later.
17. Which one of the following statements is an example of a complex sentence?
**A. The earth was spinning when Lucas first saw Lucille.
B. The crescent moon is a symbol of Islam.
C. Sparrows at the bird feeder compete for seeds.
D. Neap tide is the best time for digging clams.
18. Which one of the following sentences fails to follow parallel construction?
A. I would be surprised if Jacob's essay does not demonstrate critical thought, careful analysis, and exhaustive research.
B. Not only was Landers funny, she was charming, witty, and wise.
C. It was a fine but extremely boring lecture.
**D. I want nothing more than excellent quality, attention to detail, and a person who knows what they want in life.
19. What is the simple predicate of the following sentence?
End of exam
The Saturn rocket made travel to the moon possible.
20. How could you combine the following two sentences into one compound sentence?
The rabbit jumped into the bushes. The dog followed it.
**A. After the rabbit jumped into the bushes, the dog followed it.
B. The dog followed the rabbit when it jumped into the bushes.
C. The dog and the rabbit jumped into the bushes.
D. The rabbit jumped into the bushes, and the dog followed it.
Please!!!!! I really want to get a good grade!!
1 year ago