PLEASE answer these 1984 book questions! THANKS?
SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS
One: I, II, III
1. Who is the main character? Describe the main character.
2. What is the setting of the novel? Give the country and the city.
3. What are the three slogans of the Party? Write them the way they are shown in the novel.
4. What does the caption on the posters say?
5. Name each of the Ministries and explain its function. Also include the Newspeak name for each ministry.
6. What date does the main character record?
7. Describe the two people the main character sees just before the Two Minutes Hate.Tell what he thinks of each of these people.
8. Explain the importance of Emmanuel Goldstein. Also describe the way his image looks.
9. Explain the importance of Big Brother. Also describe the way his image looks.
10. What crime does the main character commit? How does he do this? What is the punishment?
11. What is the telescreen and how is it used?
12. Describe thoughtcrime and give an example.
One: IV, V, VI
1. What happens to the rewritten news articles after Winston puts them into the pneumatic tube? Why is this significant?
2. Winston thinks that what he is does is not forgery. What does he think it is?
3. What is Winston’s greatest pleasure in his life, and why is it so?
4. Describe the aim of Newspeak and how it works.
5. What is Syme’s observation about Winston’s appreciation of Newspeak?
6. Winston is at lunch when the message on the telescreen relates the good news about increases inproduction, including that the chocolate ration has been raised to twenty grams a week. What is Winston thinking as he hears this message?
7. What is facecrime? Give an example.
8. Who is looking at Winston during lunch? How does this affect him?
9. What is the aim of the Party with regard to male-female relationships and sex?
10. What is the Party’s policy on marriage, divorce, and children?
One: VII, VIII
1. Where does Winston think hope lies? Why?
2. What is the Party belief about the proles?
3. Describe the one time that Winston held real evidence of an act of falsification.
4. What bothers Winston the most, along with the sense of nightmare?
5. What bothers Winston more than the thought that he might be a lunatic?
6. What is the heresy of heresies? Why is that terrifying to Winston?
7. For whom does Winston realize he is writing his diary? Why?
8. What is the final, most essential command of the Party?
One: VII, VIII, continued
9. What does Winston write in his diary?
10. Describe what happens when Winston goes to the antique shop, and who he sees when he comes out.
Two: I, II, III, IV
1. Describe what happens when the girl with the dark hair falls on the floor.
2. What does the note say?
3. How does Winston feel about the message on the note?
4. Describe their next meeting.
5. Describe their meeting in Victory Square.
6. What emotions does Winston feel at first when the girl put her arms around him?
7. What emotion didn’t he feel?
8. What is the girl’s name?
9. Winston asks the girl what attracted her to him. What is her answer?
10. What does the girl tell Winston about her attitude toward the party?
11. Summarize Julia’s explanation of the meaning of the Party’s sexual puritanism.
12. According to Winston, how has the Party used the instinct of parenthood?
13. What does Winston do the next time he visits the little shop? Why?
14. What does Julia bring to their meeting?
15. How does Winston react when he sees the rat?
Two: V, VI, VII, VIII
1. Who has vanished?
2. How has Winston changed since he started coming to the little room with Julia?
3. What do Winston and Julia realize about their relationship?
4. What does Winston realize from talking to Julia about things he remembers?
5. Describe the meeting between Winston and O’Brien.
6. What does Winston think this meeting means?
7. What does Winston tell Julia the real betrayal will be when they are caught?
8. How does Winston say they can beat the Party?
9. Describe the meeting between O’Brien, Julia, and Winston at O’Brien’s apartment.
10. What does O’Brien know that surprises Winston?
Two: IX, X
1. Why is Winston working such long hours?
2. According to The Book, what is the aim of modern warfare (in accordance with the principles of doublethink)?
3. According to The Book, what is really going on with the war, and why?
4. While Winston is reading Chapter 1 of The Book, he stops for a minute. Why does he stop reading?
Two: IX, X, continued
1. How is the current government different than any previous governments? What invention enables it to be like this?
2. Explain the organization of the Party.
3. Explain the concept of doublethink.
4. What is the one thing that Winston and Julia know they will never do together?
5. While Winston and Julia are in the room, he says, “We are the dead,” and Julia repeats the phrase. What happens next?
6. What does Winston discover about Mr. Charrington?
Three: I, II
1. Where is Winston as this section of the